WHY A.I. (Before Research):


I came from an engineering background; where we learn the previosly held collective research, how mathematics is utilized to model the phisical reality we experience, and how to manipulate it to solve the problems of humanity. In this process, no spectrum exists between right and wrong. To elaborate more, you either model your problem with the correct mathematical methods, or you fail. Your solution is either correct or incorrect. Your device either works, or it does not. So what is trying to be explained here is that engineers are used to the fact that there is right or wrong and nothing in between. Everything is 1's and 0's.

When I started my art practise in Sabanci University, it is thought that any creative procces consists of countless acts of decision making. And the decisions artist make cannot be represented as right or wrong, but they stand in a wide spectrum. Thus, as can be imagined, It was a stressfull journey to understand and apply the very basics of visual arts since I was trying to learn the "correct way" to do it. Understanding that any decision is viable and the opinions over the result is always personal to some extend, it became almost impossible to make decisions and I frequently got lost between the infinite possibilities. Any brushstroke felt "wrong" since I am dedicated and educated to find the "correct" way of doing what I do.

So from my point of view, art and design is all about decision making, thus this is where I struggle the most. Here comes the question: Why am i not creating the "decision makers" and let them do the art for me. It would still make me the creator of the piece, but eliminates the process of decisionmaking which directly affects the final result. Without a doubt, decisions must be made during the design of an artifical intelligence. However, I believe it would ease my decisionmaking process if I can manage to create some devices that work in simple principles and combine them to create a piece for me. Nevertheless, it is an unplausible idea to play the God with my "painter robots".

As far as I know, already existing artworks based on A.I are usually prepared and presented in digital media. The idea of combining A.I, robotics and the classical methods of visual arts, is a fresh and untouched territorry which makes it even more facinating. 

Comments

Popular Posts